Licensing & Applications

Individuals or companies must apply for the appropriate licence (see Types of Licences) before undertaking any exploration, preliminary surveys or production of petroleum or geothermal energy.

Onshore Exploration Guidelines and Onshore Production Guidelines provide more details about who can apply for a licence and the method of application. More details about licences and approval processes are included in the Guidelines section of this site under Legislation and Compliance.

The Tenement Requirement Summary lists fees applicable, maximum area for the tenement and initial and renewal yearly terms for the different types of licences, both onshore and offshore.

Details of holders and terms and conditions of all licences are included under the Licence Register.

Information on any current exploration acreage releases can be found under New Acreage Releases.