SA Geodata is the Government of South Australia's primary geoscientific data repository captures mineral exploration data derived by industry reporting requirements and government exploration programs since 1850s
On this page
1. Map Menu – Spatial Search
Click on the Spatial Search icon from the map menu toolbar, bottom left of screen.
From the data source drop down box select Rock Samples. Draw an area on the SARIG map.
Your search result will appear in the bottom right corner of your screen, with an option to download to a CSV (Excel) file.
Clicking the Advanced Search button on the screen will go to an Advanced Search form (shown further down this page).
2. Main Menu – Geoscientific Data – Rock Samples
Click on Main Menu icon, select Geoscientific Data, then Rock Samples from the list displayed.
Select either the Quick Search, Spatial Search or the Activate Map layers option
- Quick Search - displays a search form with searching criteria (rock sample number, site number, drillhole number and drillhole name). This tool searches the entire Rock Sample database, SA Geodata.
- Spatial Search - displays Rock Samples from the source drop down box. Draw an area on the SARIG map. Your search result will appear in the bottom right corner of your screen, with and option to download to a CSV (Excel) file.
The Advanced Search option will provide access to the SA Geodata Rock Sample Advanced Search form in the SA Geodata database (example is shown further down this page).
- Active Map Layers - displays all available rock sample indicators map layers on the SARIG map.
Rock Sample Quick Search is located in the Main Menu – Geoscientific Data – Rock Samples as shown in image below:
The Rock Sample Quick Search allows a state-wide search using the most common sampling searching criteria
- Rock Sample Number: SA Geodata auto-generated number
- Site Number: SA Geodata auto-generated number
- Drillhole Number: SA Geodata auto-generated number
- Drillhole Name: Original drillhole name
From the data source drop down box select Rock Samples. Draw an area on the SARIG map. Your search result will appear in the bottom right corner of your screen, with an option to download to a CSV (Excel) file.
The Advanced Search option will provide access to the SA Geodata Rock Sample Advanced Search form in the SA Geodata database (shown further down this page).
The Quick or Advanced search options contain drop down boxes or auto fill capabilities (list filters as you type).
Active map layers
Active Map Layers when selected underneath from Rock Samples from the Main Menu – Geoscientific Data will display all available rock sample indicators map layers on the SARIG map.
The Rock Sample Advanced Search allows users to directly search SA Geodata using the filter options provided. Example of Advance Search form below.
The Rock Sample Advanced Search form also contains an additional Biostratigrapy Advanced Search search integrated into the form. To include biostratigraphy search criteria click the expansion plus sign (+) to view the added options (see image below).
Note: Database Wildcards are not required, where possible drop down lists (e.g. Sample Source) and autofill capabilities (Department / Exploration / Mining Company) are provided.
Once all required options are entered click the Search Database button. A new internet browser tab will open displaying the SA Geodatabase - Rock Sample Search Results form.
The Rock Sample Search Results form returns a list of all samples available in the area of interest drawn filtered by options provided in the advanced search form.
In addition it provides users with:
- Rock Sample Details: Click the magnifying glass image or the Sample Number (blue hyperlink) to view the sample details. Sample details include: Location, Geochemistry, Biostratigraphy, Petrology, Geochronlogy and Reference information (where available)
- Rock Sample Summary and Rock Sample: Rock Sample data and data indicators of sample data stored in SA Geodata
- Number of Records Returned: Number of records return for the searching criteria, in the example below eighty two records have been returned
- Export results to Excel: Click the Export results to Excel to download the sample search results into Excel format
- Download results data package: Click on this to view package type. If download button is greyed out, it is not available. You have exceeded the maximum number of records (2500). Please refine your searching criteria.
Select a Download Package, then click the download button
The Rock Sample Details is comprised of 7 tabs displaying data captured in SA Geodata. Will display following information where available:
- Details: Collar, Survey and general sample details
- Location: Sample Coordinates and MapSheet data
- Geochemistry: Drillhole (interval) and Surface sampling geochemistry results
- Biostratigraphy: Biostratigraphy sample analysis results, including Biostrat Chart where available
- Petrology: Petrology - thin section sample analysis results, includes thin section images where available
- Gechronology: Under construction
- References: Links to Publications and Reports database where sample was originally reported
The Rock Sample Details form also provides SA Geodata Database Information Downloads. This includes an Explanation of the Stratigraphic Map Symbol and GIS code System document.
The Government of South Australia's stratigraphic units are used consistently across the states geological maps and this document explains the hierarchical sequence of the GIS Code and Map Symbol.
Note: Click on the sample search results to sort fields, an arrow will appear below the heading to indicate which field data is sorted by.
Note: Sampling Analyses map layers do need to be turned on to access SA Geodata sample data via SARIG.
For more information, contact:
Phone: +61 8 8429 2586
GPO Box 320
Adelaide SA 5001
9.00 am to 5.00 pm
Australian Central (Adelaide)
Phone: + 61 8 8463 3000