Convergence on the Coast
Structural geology, tectonics and solid earth geophysics conference.
Registrations are now open for Convergence on the Coast being held from 18–22 November 2019 in Port Lincoln. Hear the latest research in the fields of structure, tectonics, magnetotellurics, fluid flow and mineral systems analysis and their applicability to our understanding of the tectonic and structural controls on mineral and hydrocarbon systems.
A primary focus is enabling collaboration and exchange of ideas between the geoscience research, government and industry communities. Student attendance and presentations are strongly encouraged.
The event is co-hosted by the Geological Society of Australia’s Specialist Group in Tectonics and Structural Geology (SGTSG) and the Specialist Group in Solid Earth Geophysics (SGSEG).
The conference includes four days of presentations, field trips, Loop 3D modelling workshop and the biennial SGTSG dinner and awards night.
Keynote themes and speakers:
- Observational geophysics – Assoc. Prof. Meghan Miller, Australian National University
- Geodynamics and thermodynamics – Dr Elena Sizova, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz
- Domes, basins and dynamic topography – Dr Mark Hoggard, Harvard University
- The Australia–Antarctic connection – Dr Naomi Tucker, University of Western Australia
- Experimental studies of rocks and structure – Kathryn Hayward, Australian National University
- Plate margin and intra-plate orogenesis – Professor Gianreto Manatschal, University of Strasbourg.
Fieldtrips and workshop
|13–17 November||Lithospheric structures, orogenic fronts and mineral systems: a traverse through the southeastern Gawler Craton.|
|20 November||Local coastal outcrops of the southern Gawler Craton.|
|23–27 November||Tectonics, magmatism and crustal growth in the southern Gawler Craton.|
|21 November (morning)||Loop workshop (free). The Loop consortium, an international collaboration, is building a new open source platform that will enable better definition of the 3D geological environment from the mine scale to the plate scale.|
|30 June||Abstract submission and early bird registrations close|
|31 July||Field trip registrations close|
|30 September||Full registration, workshop, dinner and spouse/social event only ticket registrations close|
– Rian Dutch and Stephan Thiel, June 2019