Mineral exploration and mining investment opportunities in South Australia
On this page
The South Australian delegation
- Dr Paul Heithersay, Deputy Chief Executive, Resources and Energy Group
- Ms Alexandra Blood, Executive Director, Mineral Resources Division
- Dr Steve Hill, Director, Geological Survey of South Australia
- Mr Rohan Cobcroft, Deputy Director, Geological Survey of South Australia
- Ms Tania Davies, Manager, Resource Information Delivery Strategy
- Mr Michael Smith, Acting Director, Mining Projects
- Mr Paul Goiak, Director, Industry Development
Meet with us at Exhibition booth 416 in the Australian Pavilion to discuss:
- Opportunities for long-term investments in the mineral exploration and mining sector in South Australia: download the South Australia Mining app for more information
- South Australia's successful PACE (Plan for Accelerating Exploration) initiative which is advancing resource exploration and mining developments in the state
- South Australia's recently released Magnetite Strategy which aims to produce 50 million tonnes of magnetite per year by 2030
- South Australia's Copper Strategy which aims to triple the state's copper production to 1 million tonnes per year within the next two decades
- South Australian geoscientific data
| Sunday 4 March |
1.30 pm to 4.30 pm
Metro Toronto Convention Centre Room 206B
Dr Steve Hill, Director, Geological Survey of South Australia
|Sunday 4 March|
7.30 pm to 9.30 pm
By invitation only
|South Australia Resources Investment Reception|
South Australia's minerals industry presents significant opportunities across the industry value chain for investors and communities to benefit.
The climate of certainty in South Australia provides investors with the confidence they need to plan long-term investments in the mining sector.
South Australia produces a third of Australia's mined copper.
- About South Australia's Copper Strategy
- Download South Australia's Copper Strategy (PDF 3.2 MB)
- PACE Copper initiative
- PACE Copper Fact Sheet (PDF 996 KB)
- PACE Copper 2017-2018 (PDF 5.8 MB)
- Copper in South Australia
- Map: copper mines, projects and occurrences in South Australia (PDF 1.6 MB)
South Australia hosts over a quarter of Australia's gold resources.
South Australia hosts a quarter of the world's uranium resources.
- Uranium in South Australia
- The Facts about uranium mining in South Australia (PDF 3.5 MB)
- Map: uranium mines, projects and occurrences in South Australia (PDF 2.4 MB)
- Uranium and uranium mineral systems in South Australia (PDF 42.1 MB)
Iron ore (hematite and magnetite)
South Australia is the birth place of iron ore mining in Australia.
- South Australia's Magnetite Strategy
- Iron ore in South Australia
- Iron ore in South Australia - map (PDF 1.3 MB)
South Australia hosts Australia's largest graphite resource.
South Australia has sufficient oil and gas reserves to play a major role in providing reliable and affordable energy to Australia.
Continued exploration success in the Cooper and Eromanga Basins makes South Australia the premium destination address for onshore oil and gas explorers. A new phase of exploration and development is about to commence in the South Australian part of the Otway Basin as a result of Beach Energy’s gas discovery at Haselgrove 3 ST1 in January 2018. Beach reported that flow test results from Sawpit Sandstone indicate a high deliverability reservoir, which provides encouragement to commercialise what could be a potentially large gas resource.
The Petroleum website provides information on sustainable petroleum exploration and production for all stakeholders.
Delivering statewide geoscientific and geospatial data, the recently updated SARIG interface provides a modern, user-friendly platform for public access to South Australia's key geoscience data, mining and exploration project information and streamlined business interactions.
The MESA Journal is an online publication produced by the Government of South Australia Mineral Resources and Energy Resources Divisions.
It includes peer reviewed feature articles that provide new information and insights into South Australian geology as well as articles covering a broad range of geoscientific topics, topical news of interest to the resource sector, industry news and tenement activity updates.
Subscribe to receive email alerts when new editions are available.
Previously published feature articles are provided as a compilation PDF on a regular basis.
Download recent feature article compilations:
- MESA Journal Volume 85 (PDF 22.3 MB) – includes articles on magnetotellurics, the Mineral Systems Drilling Program, Hiltaba Suite granite and remediation of the Leigh Creek coal mine
- MESA Journal Volume 84 (PDF 16.9 MB) – includes articles on South Australian graphite resources and fluid events affecting the northern Olympic Cu–Au Province